[Please Note: For one day only on 31st Aug the class will run between 3pm to 4:30pm. This is due to a booking clash at the venue. In September we go back to the 4:0pm start.]
Continuing our Summer 2019 open classes, each class will be at least 1 hour long with up to 30 minutes practice/warm up time.
- Who will benefit from these classes?
- What will happen in each class?
- Do I need to book?
- Are the classes suitable for absolute beginners?
- Do I need a partner or can single people attend?
These classes are aimed at all levels from recent beginner to intermediate/advanced dancers. Each class will consolidate what you already know and help you improve your dancing with new figures, movements and walking patterns, while learning more about musicality and how you can use the music to influence your dance.
The structure of each class will start off by looking at some basics, then intorducing more and more difficult material over the hour until everyone has been able to learn something new, no matter what standard you currently regard yourself to be.
In each class we will consider
- A rhythmical walking pattern to expand your capability of dancing around the floor using musicality and technique, rather than just stepping to the main beat.
- An introduction to, and practise of, simple and complex versions of the main categories of Argentine tango figures, such as Ochos, Giros, Crosses, Carrusel & Planeos, Off-axis movements, and so on. This will expand the leaders ‘toolkit’ of figures, while helping followers to get used to recognising and responding to the lead for the different versions of classic figures.
- A build up of sequences of what we learn, so we can move smoothly and elegantly from walking to a number of linked figures, back to walking, whilst using the music to guide us. This will include using figures learned in previous weeks as well as the new figures in each week.
The venue we currently use is small (room for 5 couples on the floor at anyone time), so although you don’t need to pay until you attend, it would be useful for you to book ( see form below) prior to attending to give me an idea on numbers.
These classes are not suitable for absolute beginners with no experience of Argentine Tango. We are planning a couple of taster workshops followed by a ‘Ten Week to Tango‘ course,starting in September which is suitable for absolute beginners. If you would like to join in then, please subscribe to my newsletter (email me with the subject line ‘Subscribe’) and I will keep you up to date with future classes and workshops
Yes you do. Argentine Tango is a partner dance (one leader, one follower), so although you don’t have to be a ‘couple’, you will need someone to practice with. You can come with a friend of the same sex as long as one of you adopts each role. If you are looking for a partner to join a class with, put a comment here, stating which role you would like to take (Leader or follower) and ask if anyone else wants to match up with you.
Bookings are now closed for this event.